A Year In The Life of Indy 500 Champ Marcus Ericsson!
It’s been one year since IndyCar driver Marcus Ericsson won the 106th Indianapolis 500, changing his life forever, and it’s been 12 months since we spoke to the champ about that big win and played a fun game of “This or That: Swedish Edition"!
With this year's Indianapolis 500 fast approaching (this weekend, in fact!), let’s recap some of the coolest things Marcus has done since winning the coveted Borg-Warner Trophy!
November '22: Took The Iconic Borg-Warner Trophy to Sweden
- Only the fourth time the famed, ENORMOUS, and multi-million dollar trophy has travelled outside the U.S.
- Visited Sweden’s Capital, Stockholm, for media appearances and fan events.
- Took the trophy to his hometown, Kumla, where 10,000 people gathered in the town square for a special celebration honoring his victory.
- Took pictures into the late evening with fans that waited hours to meet him.
May '22: Yankees First Pitch
- Threw out a first-pitch at a New York Yankees game during his victory tour.
- Fun fact: he’d never been to a baseball game before!
- Sat in the owner’s suite.
April '23: Got Married
- WedIris Tritsaris Jondahl in a private ceremony just outside of L.A. in April.
- Married just a day after his podium finish at the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach.
May '23: Kentucky Derby
- Attended a race featuring a whole different type of "horsepower" as a special guest of NBC.
- Walked the red carpet and was interviewed on the broadcast.
- Had his first Mint Julep!
February '23: NY Rangers Game
- Sat in the celebrity box – with Liam Neeson!
- Fun Fact: Marcus played hockey as a kid. It’s Sweden’s most popular sport and he was a highly skilled and competitive goalie.
Marcus competes in the NTT IndyCar Series, driving the No. 8 Honda for Chip Ganassi Racing. Marcus will defend his crown during The 107th Running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge on Sunday, May 28, on NBC + Peacock!