Why 2021 Was The Year of Megan Thee Stallion!
It’s no secret that Megan Thee Stallion is a certified superstar, and has been ever since she introduced us all to “Hot Girl Summer”. But it seems like 2021 in particular has been extremely good to the hip-hop star, and honestly, it’s what she deserves!
Let’s take a look back at everything our gurl Megan has accomplished this year!
- The year got off to a great start when Megan officially announced her relationship with fellow rapper Pardison Fontaine!
- Megan won her first Grammy Awards – 3 in total. These included Best Rap Song, Best Rap Performance (both for “Savage” Beyoncé remix), and Best New Artist.
- Megan was the most-awarded single artist at the 2021 BET Awards (4).
- Megan became the first ever female rapper to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's annual Swimsuit Issue.
- Megan gave both her fans and K-pop fans something tasty to chew on with a remix of BTS’s hit “Butter”. She also delighted fans in November by showing up in-person to BTS’s Permission To Dance On Stage concert in L.A. to perform her feature of the song live!
- Megan partnered with Nike for a promotional campaign and fitness program in conjunction with the Nike Training Club app.
- After reigning supreme at the BET Awards in June, she achieved the same at the 2021 BET Hip Hop Awards.
- Megan released her compilation album Something For Thee Hotties, which peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 (her fourth time landing in the Top 10 of that chart).
- Megan partnered with chain restaurant Popeye’s, including her own franchise, branded merch, and her Megan Thee Stallion Hottie Sauce. This partnership also facilitated a huge donation to the Houston Random Acts of Kindness organization.
- Megan may soon be adding more Grammy hardware to her collection, as she received two more nominations for the 2022 Grammy Awards (Best Rap Performance for “Thot S**t”, and Album of the Year as a featured artist on Lil Nas X’s Montero).
- In the meantime, Megan tied (with Doja Cat and BTS) for the most awards at the 2021 American Music Awards. Her 3 awards included Favorite Female Artist Rap/Hip-Hop, Favorite Trending Song (“Body”), and Favorite Album Rap/Hip-Hop (Good News).
- This same month, Megan was named Glamour Magazine’s Woman of the Year.
- Along with Jimmy Fallon and Ariana Grande, Megan got us all in a the (socially-distanced) Christmas spirit with the single “It Was a… (Masked Christmas)”, lamenting yet another holiday season in a pandemic and urging listeners to go get that booster shot.
- Serving as an inspiration for countless other college students, Megan completed her studies at HBCU Texas Southern University and earned her Bachelors Degree in Healthcare Administration. Yes, even though she could retire today and never have to work another day in her life, she felt it important to finish her education. And it’s not just some throwaway degree either, meant to collect dust in a picture frame on the wall – Megan intends to use her degree to open an assisted living facility in Houston.
- Megan received more accolades from her home state, being given the Texas Hero Award presented by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee.
- And as if December couldn’t get any better, Megan inked a lucrative and exclusive first-look deal with Netflix! The deal will allow Megan to create and executive produce her very own content with the streamer. We can’t wait to see what she comes up with!
In addition to all of this, Megan released a total of 10 new singles this year, including 2 that went Platinum (“Cry Baby” and “Thot S**t”), as well as a hearty handful of features and guest appearances on other artists’ tracks.
Whew! That was a lot, and we couldn’t be more happy and excited for everything Megan has achieved this year! Can’t wait to see what 2022 brings for the star!