May the Merch Be With You: 6 Must-Have 'Star Wars VII'-Inspired Products!
Back in the late-'70s, George Lucas pretty much invented the concept of movie merchandising as we know it today after he released his magnum opus, Star Wars. In fact, he's made more money on product tie-ins than he has on the films themselves! Other filmmakers and studios soon took the idea and ran with it, and even Mel Brooks parodied this phenomenon in his Star Wars send-up Spaceballs.
All joking (and flame-throwers) aside, it's not far from the truth at all! So, it comes as no surprise that the trend continues with the next installment of the Star Wars saga. Release the merch!
A few weeks ago, Target held “Force Friday”, where a number of Star Wars products based on the seventh film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, were released. Some of the hottest products were not found in Target stores, though, and the frenzy continues! Some of the most in-demand products include:
- Hasbro released their own BB-8 droid that is a bit more traditional and is controlled by an actual remote included with the droid.
- CoverGirl has released a Star Wars-inspired make-up line, which includes six different lipsticks, three shades of nail polish, and ten tubes of mascara featuring quotes from all (seven!) Star Wars films.
- This one will cost you -- Devon has released a hand-crafted, individually numbered watch that costs $28,500. We're sure Darth Vader could get one for free though...
- A fresh newLEGO Star Wars First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter that comes with a complete LEGO crew and two spring-loaded shooters.
- Target has also released full Halloween costumes of some of the new characters, including Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma. As cosplayerMeghan Camarenatold us at Comic-Con, it's never too early to start dressing up!
Which of the new merchandise would you want to buy?
(Screenshot via YouTube)
- Sarah Osman, YH Contributing Writer; additional reporting by Katie Marzullo, YH Staff Editor