Higher. Further. Faster: 'Captain Marvel' Is Here!
Good day and hello I am here with some very important news: the first trailer for Captain Marvel was released this morning and what are you waiting for? You. Need. To. See. It.
This film will make history as Marvel Studio’s first full-length feature film based on a female superhero! Of course, there is no one better to take the lead than Oscar-winning actress and all-around super humanBrie Larson.
Some major takeaways from the trailer:
- Larson’s Carol Danvers crashing into earth and straight through one of our most treasured fossils: Blockbuster Video. What I wouldn’t do to be back in a Blockbuster right now... times were so much simpler then! Back to the point – if you’re a bit confused by this throwback, it’s Marvel’s sneaky and genius way of setting the timeline for this flick, which is set in the 1990s, long before most of our other Avengers heroes had come onto the scene.
- A young Nick Fury with both of his eyes! We only get a quick glimpse of them, but they are there, no eyepatch! Honestly, the magic of movies is pretty wild when you take in that Marvel has had to makeSamuel L. Jackson look at least 20 years younger for this entire film. But considering what they were able to do with Michael Douglas in Ant-Man andKurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. II, this should be a piece of cake.
- The origin story of Captain Marvel… I’ll admit that since I don’t actually read these comic books, I have literally no idea what this lady’s story is, so I am a bit confused. Is she from Earth? Is she from space? What is going with these light beams searing through her head, do they hurt?? Many questions but I’m looking forward to finding them out. Basically she looks like she might be Marvel's answer to Superman/girl...
-Jude Law?!?!? Sorry did we know he was in this movie or am I just behind??? He is having quite a comeback right now and I am here for it. Sadly, Jude looks super concerned and has some weird stuff going on with his eyes for the single second that we see him. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he’s an alien.
- Captain Marvel’s powers – again I am very unclear on what her powers are but they seem intense (maybe intense enough to take down Thanos?????). Basically, this whole trailer is Brie Larson looking like a badass and I’m not mad about it.
And just in case you missed it, during the end credits scene in Avengers: Infinity War, while everyone was turning into dust, Nick Fury sent out some sort of distress signal on a little gizmo he had and guess who picked up… Captain Marvel! Hopefully that means she has what it takes to bring our beloved universe of superheroes back to life. So, in my professional opinion, this movie is going to be bonkers. I cannot wait for our newest HERo (wink, wink).
(Image via Marvel Entertainment)
- Kyla Killackey, YH Contributing Writer